Thriller Flash Mob at Market Square!
The Grade 10 Dance Class, in collaboration with the Specialist High Skills Major Communications Technology students worked together to produce tutorial videos on “How To Dance Michael Jackson’s Thriller”. The tutorial videos were used as a learning tool for our ALCDSB elementary schools and community members in hopes of collaborating on a board-wide flash mob!
|Some of the HC "ghouls" at the Thriller Flash Mob at Kingston's Market Square.|
On Monday, October 27th, downtown Kingston was taken over by more than 120 ghouls and ghost participants. Crusaders and their elementary school counterparts came together in Market Square to perform THRILLER in the style of a flash mob! With the SHSM camera crew in place, the Dance Class took their positions and the rest was Halloween history. The “impromptu” performance captivated audiences, bringing together family and friends of our Algonquin Lakeshore Catholic School Board community!
A big thank-you to everyone who came out to support the project! Stay tuned for the edited video coverage, just in time for Halloween! It truly was a spook-tacular event!
TV Cogeco “Game of the Week” Production
Photo by Gabriel McDonald
|Zach Hutcheson and Nich Boutilier celebrate a point at the PH Classic Volleyball games on October 23rd.|
The Specialist High Skills Major Communications Technology (SHSM) students along with TV Cogeco produced the KASSAA “Game of the Week” featuring the Holy Cross Crusaders Boys' Junior and Senior Volleyball games against their archrival Regiopolis-Notre Dame Panthers in the PH Classic Volleyball Games at Holy Cross on October 24th, 2014. SHSM students performed all the technical positions including camera, graphics, and audio.
The games will be cablecast seven times on TV Cogeco channel 13 and digital channel 700 on the following dates:
- Sunday, October 26th at 10:00 a.m. (Jr) and 11:30 a.m. (Sr)
- Monday, October 27th at 10:00 a.m. (Jr) and 11:30 a.m. (Sr)
- Monday, October 27th 3:00 p.m. (Jr) and 4:30 p.m. (Sr)
- Tuesday, October 28th at 7:00 p.m. (Jr) and 8:30 p.m. (Sr)
- Wednesday, October 29th at 1:30 p.m. (Jr) and 3:00 p.m. (Sr)
- Friday, October 31st (Halloween) at 7 p.m. (Jr) and 8:30 p.m. (Sr)
- Saturday, November 1st at 9 a.m. (Jr) and 10:30 a.m. (Sr)
“Healthy Relationships: Body Mind Spirit” Retreats
Students and staff from our Grade 10 home form classes took part in this year’s “Healthy Relationships: Body Mind Spirit” Retreats on October 21st and 22nd. Rideau Acres Campground hosted the retreats and provided snacks as well a great barbecue lunch.
|Mr. Watts was ready to take on all comers in "Musical Chairs"|
During the day, participants listened to various guest speakers, including Lisa Lollar, our Health Unit Nurse, who spoke from her experience as a nurse about the ‘Body’ part of our sexuality, STD’s, and Abstinence. Terrie Hoey, our Youth Worker at Holy Cross spoke about making healthy decisions and using our ‘Mind’ when dating or getting involved in relationships. In the afternoon, Nadia Gundert, Archdiocesan Youth Coordinator, and Dr. Vanessa Sweet, Youth Minister at St. Paul the Apostle Church, spoke about “Chastity” and the ‘Spiritual’ side of our sexuality. They explained that is important to reverence and respect the gift of our sexuality. They also cleared up misperceptions about the Catholic Church’s views and beliefs about our sexuality.
On the second of the two retreat days, we had time for Ice-Breaker games before lunch which were a big hit. Even the staff joined in. A big thank you to Student Council and other student leaders who came to help out. And to all the staff from our school who came to supervise.
Shrek: The Musical
Holy Cross Catholic Secondary School proudly presents Shrek The Musical this November. Based on the 2001 DreamWorks film, Shrek The Musical is the heartwarming fairytale featuring a crusty but loveable ogre who goes on a life-changing adventure to reclaim the deed to his land. Together with a wise-cracking donkey, a feisty princess, a vertically-challenged villain and a gang of storybook misfits, this unlikely hero discovers that real friendship and true love are not only found in fairy tales.
Show dates are November 26th to November 29th, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. with a special matinee performance on Saturday, November 29th at 1:30pm. Tickets are $18 for adults and $15 for students/children and will go on sale at lunch in the front foyer November 13th. Purchase your tickets early so you won’t be disappointed! You won’t want to miss out on the exciting Kingston premiere of Shrek The Musical!
Winter Term Dual Credit Courses
A student enrolled in the Dual Credit Program spends some of their academic time at St. Lawrence College taking a college or apprenticeship course and the rest of their academic time at Holy Cross taking regular high school courses and/or Coop courses.
Advantages of Dual Credit Courses
- You earn credits at both college and high school by taking a single college course. Successfully completing a Dual Credit college course enables a student to earn both a high school credit and a college credit at the same time. Successfully completing a Dual Credit Apprenticeship Program enables the student to earn two high school credits and the Level 1 Apprenticeship at the same time.
- You can take a post-secondary course in an area you are interested in before applying to it after high school.
- You have a chance to experience the post-secondary environment while still in high school which will ease the transition in the future.
- You can earn credits towards an apprenticeship or college program before leaving high school.
- It is entirely free - all costs including tuition, transportation and books are covered.
Congregated Dual Credit Courses
- Holy Cross students take a St. Lawrence College course in a class with only high school students. The class schedule follows the secondary school semester schedule starting in February and ending in May or June.
- The Addictions Congregated Dual Credit Course is a general elective in many programs, including Behavioural Science Technology and Social Service Worker. See an overview of this course.
- The General Carpenter Pre-Apprenticeship Congregated Dual Credit Course will give students the chance to take two courses that are offered in the General Carpentry Level 1 Apprenticeship program - Safety in Construction and Basic Plans/Blueprint Reading. This program runs one day a week for 4.5 hours per day from February to May. See an overview of this course.
- Laboratory Techniques is a laboratory-lecture integrated course will demonstrate and emphasize proper and safe techniques when using a variety of laboratory equipment. It is geared towards students who want to pursue studies in the Health Sciences and especially the Medical Laboratory Science area. Students will have the opportunity to learn basic laboratory techniques in preparation for the Assistant and Technician college programs. This program runs one day per week, for 4 hours per day from February to June. See an overview of this course.
- The scheduled time of each course is will be available in December, 2014.
Integrated Dual Credit Courses
- Holy Cross students take a regularly scheduled St. Lawrence College course along with St. Lawrence students. The class schedule follows the college semester schedule (January to April).
- There are a wide variety of courses available including:
- Introductory Accounting
- Market Behaviour
- Introductory Marketing
- Police Foundations
- Aboriginal Peoples and Diversity
- Office Administration
- Effective Business Communication
- Office Procedures
- Make - Up
- Body Treatments
- Social Sciences
- Media and the Arts
- Introduction to Nutrition
- Violence Against Girls and Women
- Computer Science
- Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to Networking
- Web Page Design
- Programming Using C++
- Culinary Arts
- Baking Techniques
- Cuisine and Culture
- Kitchen Management
- Nutrition and Kitchen Safety
- See the complete description of each of Integrated Dual Credit Courses listed above.
- See an overview of Dual Credit Courses. This provides information on such things as student expectations, evaluation, transportation and support provided for students.
- Note that the scheduled time of each course will not be available until December, 2014.
OYAP Integrated Level 1 Apprenticeship Programs
- Students earn two high school credits and the Level 1 Apprenticeship by successfully completing the St. Lawrence or Loyalist College course and a related Co-op placement.
- Students must be interviewed by the OYAP Coordinator as well as one of the Holy Cross Co-op teachers. These interviews will take place on request. Students must ensure they are committed to completing all program requirements before agreeing to participate in these program.
- The Brick and Stone Mason Level 1 Apprenticeship Program will be offered at St. Lawrence College every day for a 10 week period starting in late February. See an overview of this program.
Application Timeline for Winter Dual Credit Courses
- If you have applied for a Winter Dual Credit course on the 2014-15 course selection form you completed in May 2014, Mr. Murphy will meet with you one morning during the next two weeks to discuss your application. You need to complete the application form by November 4th with parent signatures (if applicable) to officially apply for the St. Lawrence. Here is a copy of this application form. Students will be notified of their acceptance to a Dual Credit Program by Mr. Murphy once confirmation is communicated by the College.
- If you have not applied for a Winter Dual Credit course but are interested in taking one, you must make an appointment as soon as possible with your Guidance Councellor to see if you can fit the Dual Credit course into your current schedule. If it is possible, your guidance councellor will contact Mr. Murphy who will then meet with you to complete the application.
Want More Information?
- Talk to Mr. Murphy, the HC Dual Credit Teacher during any lunch or afternoon period in Room 217.
- Arrange an appointment with counselor to determine your course interest.
- Visit the Dual Credit Program websites at:
www.passpathways.on.ca (General site describing the Dual Credit Program)
dualcredit.squarespace.com/slc-kingston-welcome (Dual Credit Program site for St. Lawrence - Kingston Campus)